Full membership of the Society is for individuals who have been practising design for more than 3 years. Applicants will be required to complete the online application process where they will be asked to evidence their competencies against the CPSK™, the design profession’s framework for professional practice. Applicants are required to submit a portfolio of case studies and details of their commitment to professional practice, which will be reviewed by a Membership Panel. Applicants may then be requested to attend an assessment.
If your membership has lapsed and you wish to find out about re-joining contact the Society.
Once you’re a Member of CSD you will:
- Be able to use the authorised title ‘Member of the Chartered Society of Designers’ and the post nominal letters MCSD to evidence that you have attained a high level of competence as recognised by the professional body for design and to demonstrate your commitment to professional practice and personal development.
- Have use of a unique descriptor awarded to you identifying your design specialism
- Receive a signed personal certificate bearing the Minerva seal and set in a black aluminium frame.
- Have use of a unique Minerva Members’ Marque on your personal promotional material. The Marque is FREE to members and may be adopted for companies with more than one CSD member subject to certain criteria and a license fee.
- Be exempt from many elements of the Pathway to Chartered Designer, a significant discount on the application fee and an annual subscription that discounts the cost of your MCSD membership fee.
- Be able to take full advantage of the CSD’s networks with invitations and access to a variety of events as well as opportunities to reach out to fellow designers through our social media channels and focus groups.
- Vote at the Society’s AGM, participate in committee work, become a membership assessor and CEP accreditation panel member.
- Be able to display your portfolio on the CSD website ‘Find-a-Designer’ directory for clients and employers.
And so much more. For more information download the MCSD Guidelines
Use the authorised title ‘Member of the Chartered Society of Designers‘ and the abbreviation MCSD to indicate that you have attained a level of competence recognised by the professional body for design and to demonstrate your commitment to professional practice.
Exemption from certain elements of the Pathway to Chartered Designer plus a significant discount on the application fee.
Receive a personal certificate bearing the Minerva seal, signed by the President and Honorary Secretary and set in a black aluminium frame.
04 Members' Marque
Use your unique Minerva Members’ Marque with a personal registration number and protected as a Collective Trademark for use on any promotional material
Take full advantage of the Society’s networks with invitations to a variety of events as well as opportunities to reach out to fellow designers through our social media channels and focus groups.
Gain access to all our digital content including magazines, reports, advice columns, book reviews, portfolio galleries and much more.
Identify your design specialism with a unique descriptor.
Vote at the Society’s AGM, participate in committee work, become membership assessors and accreditation panel members.
09 Professional Development
Receive discounts on selected workshops and events, as well as portfolio gym sessions and other learning opportunities to help you to develop professionally.
10 Online portfolio
Your our own personal MCSD portfolio which you can populate with contact details, links to your website and social media, professional practice details, CPD record and case studies together with images of your work.
Your portfolio displayed on ‘Find-a-Designer’ a directory of CSD members which can be searched by clients.
Receive a confidential one-to-one advice service across a range of issues. The Society has developed a network of partnerships and collaborations in order to ensure members receive professional and affordable support in many specialist areas.
13 Professional Protection and Security
Receive preferential rates on Professional Indemnity insurance and other forms of insurance plus discounts on initiatives for Intellectual Property protection.
14 Business Opportunities
Receive notifications of design tenders and benefit from design opportunities through the CSD client referral service.
Advertise job vacancies in the CSD classified recruitment section free of charge and receive significant discounts on feature recruitment ads.
Stay informed of developments within the industry and the profession on a regular basis through TheDesigner and our digital channels and direct email broadcasts.
Find out about design exhibitions, conferences, shows, talks, debates, workshops, lectures and receive exclusive invitations and discounted rates.
Receive exclusive special offers from CSD and our partners on resources such as books, magazines, software and other materials.
Add your voice to the work undertaken by the professional body in influencing government, academia, clients and the design sector.
Application fee £75 (non-refundable)
Associate members £25
Joining fee £50
Associate members FREE
If also awarded Chartered Designer status
the annual subscription is £305