Affiliate Member (aCSDm)
The Society recognises that individuals may enter any field of design practice through related activities such as ergonomics, engineering or through support areas such as model making, pattern cutting, or other technician-based activities. The Society offers a platform for practising designers and those in related fields and levels to work together to develop and promote professional practice and therefore offers Affiliate Membership in these areas.
How do I become an Affiliate Member?
There is not a definitive list of activities given the all-encompassing nature of design, but they may include: early career or technician level practice in fields such as ergonomics, architectural technician, various engineering activities, researcher, design teachers and educators, interior decorators, surveyors, etc. All applicants must have been practising in their particular activity for a minimum of three years and are required to demonstrate their competence against three key criteria of the CPSK™.
Once you’re an Affiliate Member you will:
- Be able to use the authorised title ‘Affiliate Member of the Chartered Society of Designers’ and the post nominal letters aCSDm to evidence that you have attained a high level of competence as recognised by the professional body for design and therefore practice professionally in a design-related field.
- Have use of a unique descriptor awarded to you identifying your specialist field.
- Receive a signed personal certificate bearing the Minerva seal and set in a black aluminium frame.
- Be exempt from certain elements of the application route to full membership MCSD.
- Be able to take full advantage of the CSD’s networks with invitations and access to a variety of events as well as opportunities to reach out to fellow designers through our social media channels and focus groups.
- Be able to participate in committee work and become a CEP accreditation panel member.
- Gain access to CSD’s digital content including magazines, reports, advice columns, book reviews, portfolio galleries and much more.
- Be able to have your own personal aCSDm Level online portfolio which you can populate with contact details, links to your website and social media, professional practice details, CPD record and case studies together with images of your work.
And so much more. For more information download the guidelines
To celebrate Minerva@90 all fees are calculated at 90% of the full professional membership rate during this anniversary year until 31 December 2021 so join in this unique celebration by joining the only Royal Chartered professional body for designers across all design disciplines.
Use the authorised title ‘Affiliate Member of the Chartered Society of Designers’ and the abbreviation aCSDm to indicate that you have been qualified and recognised by the professional body for design as practicing professionally in a design related field.
Identify your design related specialism with a unique descriptor.
Receive a personal certificate bearing the Minerva seal, signed by the President and Honorary Secretary and set in a black aluminium frame.
Take full advantage of the Society’s networks with invitations to a variety of events as well as opportunities to reach out to fellow practitioners through our social media channels and focus groups.
Participate in committee work, become an accreditation panel member for your area of specialism.
Gain access to all our digital content including magazines, reports, advice columns, book reviews, portfolio galleries and much more.
07 Professional Development
Receive discounts on selected workshops and events, as well as portfolio gym sessions and other learning opportunities to help you to develop professionally.
08 Online Portfolio
Your our own personal aCSDm portfolio which you can populate with contact details, links to your website and social media, professional practice details, CPD record and case studies together with images of your work.
Receive a confidential one-to-one advice service across a range of issues. The Society has developed a network of partnerships and collaborations in order to ensure members receive professional and affordable support in many specialist areas.
10 Professional Protection and Security
Receive preferential rates on Professional Indemnity insurance and other forms of insurance plus discounts on initiatives for Intellectual Property protection.
11 Business Opportunities
Receive notifications of design related tenders and benefit from design related opportunities through the CSD client referral service.
Advertise job vacancies in the CSD classified recruitment section free of charge and receive significant discounts on feature recruitment ads.
Stay informed of developments within the industry and the profession on a regular basis through TheDesigner and our digital channels and direct email broadcasts.
Find out about design related exhibitions, conferences, shows, talks, debates, workshops, lectures and receive exclusive invitations and discounted rates.
Receive exclusive special offers from CSD and our partners on resources such as books, magazines, software and other materials.
Add your voice to the work undertaken by the professional body in influencing government, academia, clients and the design sector.
Application fee £75 (non-refundable)
Associate members £25
Joining fee £50
Associate members FREE
Annually £175 (Minerva@90 fee £157.50)
To celebrate Minerva@90 all full annual fees are calculated at 90% until 31 December 2021 for existing and new Affiliate Members. So it makes sense more than ever to