Associate Member (Assoc.CSD)
The Society offers Associate membership to individuals who have recently graduated, are in the early stages of their design careers or those with equivalent competence.
Student members of the Society who have successfully graduated, are able to upgrade to Associate level free of charge before the end of the calendar year in which they graduate.
How do I become an Associate Member of CSD?
As with any of the Chartered Society of Designers’ membership categories, Associate membership is offered globally and is suitable for those who have just graduated from a design or design related course of study or those in practice with an equivalent level whether having studied design or not.
Candidates are likely to have less than 3 years of practical experience in the design sector. They may be asked to submit documentation alongside their application. The period of the award may vary depending on the competencies demonstrated by an applicant and is calculated to enable the Associate Member to develop towards Full membership.
Once you’re an Associate Member of CSD you will:
- Be able to use the authorised title ‘Associate Member of the Chartered Society of Designers’ and the post nominal letters.CSD to evidence that you have achieved an intermediate level of competence as recognised by the professional body for design and to demonstrate your commitment to professional practice and personal development.
- Receive a signed personal certificate bearing the Minerva seal validating the period of your membership.
- Have taken the first step on the Pathway to Chartered Designer.
- Be able to take full advantage of the CSD’s networks with invitations and access to a variety of events as well as opportunities to reach out to fellow designers through our social media channels and focus groups.
- Gain access to CSD’s digital content including magazines, reports, advice columns, book reviews, portfolio galleries and much more.
- Be able to commence your professional development with guidance specifically targeted to your needs.
- Receive preferential rates and advice on PI cover and a range of other insurance services subject to risk status.
- Receive notifications of design opportunities through the CSD Client Referral Service.
- Receive exclusive special offers from CSD and our partners on resources services, books, magazines, software and other materials.
- Receive a discounted application fee when you upgrade to Full membership (MCSD).
And so much more. For more information download the guidelines
How do I know whether to upgrade or apply?
There are several ways to become an Associate Member of the Society depending on whether you are already a Student Member or not. Please read our full guidelines below for more information:
Use of the authorised title ‘Associate Member of the Chartered Society of Designers’ and the abbreviation Assoc.CSD to demonstrate that they have achieved a level of competence as recognised by the professional body for design and to illustrate their commitment to professional practice.
Receive a personal certificate bearing the Minerva seal, signed by the President and Honorary Secretary of the Society, validating the period of your membership.
03 Chartered Designer
Achieving the first step on the Pathway to Chartered Designer.
Take full advantage of the Society’s networks with invitations to a variety of events as well as opportunities to reach out to fellow designers through our social media channels and focus groups.
05 Online Portfolio
Your own personal Assoc.CSD portfolio which you can populate with contact details, links to your website and social media, professional practice details, CPD record and case studies together with images of your work.
Gain access to all of the Society’s digital content including magazines, reports, advice columns, book reviews, portfolio galleries and much more.
07 Professional Development
Receive exclusive offers on selected workshops and events, as well as portfolio gym sessions and other learning opportunities to help you to develop professionally.
Receive preferential rates on PI cover and a range of other insurance services subject to acceptability.
09 Business Opportunities
Receive notifications of design opportunities through the CSD client referral service.
Receive TheDesigner, the Society’s monthly e-newsletter and stay informed of developments within the industry and the profession on a regular basis through our digital channels and direct email broadcasts.
Find out about design exhibitions, conferences, shows, talks, debates, workshops, lectures and receive exclusive invitations and discounted rates.
Receive exclusive special offers from CSD and our partners on resources such as books, magazines, software and other materials.
Add your voice to the work undertaken by the professional body in influencing government, academia, clients and the design sector.
Opportunities to reach out to potential clients and employers through our social networks and through your personal membership profile.
CSD delivers, partners and promotes numerous design awards and competitions, so you will have numerous opportunities to participate.
Discounted application fee when you upgrade to Full Membership (MCSD) or Affiliate Membership (aCSDm).
Application fee £50 (non-refundable)
Student members FREE
Joining fee FREE