The history of the Society reflects the changes and developments in the profession itself since 1930. Some of the greatest names in design during this period can be found as members of the Society and work produced by members has helped shape society and industry.
It is an illustrious history that can only be truly appreciated by looking at the history of design. The following dates provide markers in the transition of the Society since its formation.
Society of Industrial Artists was formed following an inaugural meeting at the Ye Olde Cock Tavern in Fleet Street London.
First Regional Group formed in Stafford, West Midlands.
Society and its members take a leading role in the redesign of Britain after World War II.
Name change to the Society of Industrial Artists and Designers.
Royal Charter granted in recognition of its work in establishing the profession of design.
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh became Patron and remains so to this day.
Name change to the Chartered Society of Designers.
The Society set up the DBA - Design Business Association.
The Design Association established as trading and corporate entity of CSD.
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh awarded a special Gold Minerva Medal at St. James' Palace in recognition of his services to the design profession and the Society.
First design consultancy accredited under the Design Association DA Accreditation programme.
DA Diploma in Design Business Management introduced.
Adoption of the CSD Genetic Matrix to underpin all initiatives.
Major ammendments to the Bylaws accepted by the membership to include setting up The Register of Chartered Designers.
80th year anniversary of the Society.
First course to achieve CSD Course Accreditation.
Bylaw review and amendments approved by the Privy Council on 17 February 2011.